Environmental Health Officer
Temporary - 4 month FTC
£28.00 - £34.90 p/h DOE, 40 hours p/w (flexibility with working hours may be necessary on occasion)
Do you want to make a difference to the environment and work for a company that recognise and value their people?
We have a perfect opportunity available for an experienced Environmental Health officer to join a Grantham based organisation with a strong internal culture.
As an Environmental Health officer it will be your job to protect and improve the health, safety and environment within the company in an efficient and effective way through the application of specialist skills, knowledge and expertise in the full range of environmental health functions. The ideal candidate must willingly take ownership for their actions and decisions and must be a reliable, dependable member of the team, often going beyond the normal terms of employment.
• Carry out interventions and inspections of premises and enforce a variety of legislation over the full range of environmental health functions including (but not exclusively) food safety, health and safety, environmental protection, housing standards and public health.
• Take a lead role and develop a detailed specialist and technical knowledge in a nominated area as determined by the Team Leader.
• Support the Team Leaders in developing service delivery, including the production and revision of policies and procedures, statistical returns and registers and providing support, training and guidance to colleagues.
• Working in line with the Council’s Enforcement Policy and other relevant procedures, independently and with minimal supervision, undertake investigations into breaches of legislation, determine the most appropriate course of action, prepare evidence, issue notices, compile reports and appear in Court or Tribunals on behalf of the Council.
• Give professional advice to a range of stakeholders, including Councillors, officers from wider Council service functions, members of the public, businesses etc. on the requirements of statutory provisions and technical advice on measures to implement these provisions.
• Fulfil the statutory consultee roles in respect of planning and licensing. Review applications, assess relevant impacts, make comments/recommendations and attend planning and licensing committees/hearings where necessary.
• Organise, coordinate and undertake project based initiatives including the production of necessary documentation.
• Represent the service as required at internal and external meetings, committees and working groups.
• Take samples, undertake monitoring and survey work as necessary across the range of environmental health functions.
• Provide cover where required and general assistance to the Team Leaders to ensure effective delivery of the service.
• Undertake such other duties of a comparable nature and level of responsibility as may be required from time to time by the Team Leader/ Line Manager.
• Take part in the out of hour’s service, dealing with the full range of environmental health issues.
• Previous experience working in a similar role is essential
• Working knowledge of relevant environmental health legislation, codes of practice and guidance
• Detailed technical knowledge of at least one specialist area of environmental health
• Good general IT skills, including the use of MS Office and Outlook
If this role is of interest to you and you have the relevant experience required please hit apply!